The Ministry of Labour is in the process of proposing a number of amendments to the Industrial Regulation 851 under the OH&S Act.
Industrial Regulation 851 covers a variety of different workplaces including factories, offices and office buildings, shops, arenas, restaurants and logging operations.
(1)The ministry has prepared a consultation paper for public review and comment which highlights the proposed amendments to Regulation 851, which are intended to:
- Update existing requirements regarding guardrails, fall protection, protection against drowning, signalers, eyewash fountains and deluge showers to reflect current workplace practices, processes and technologies;
- Add new requirements for risk assessments and traffic management programs that are similar to recent amendments to Regulation 854 (Mines and Mining Plants);
- Add new requirements for scaffolds and suspended access equipment, similar to existing requirements currently set out in O. Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects);
- Add new, specific requirements for storage racks and for high visibility safety apparel for signalers to improve worker health and safety and to improve clarity and transparency regarding compliance expectations; and
- Make additional amendments for clarification and to increase alignment between OHSA regulations.
The MOL is also seeking feedback with a deadline of April 6, 2018. Click the link below for details on sending your feedback.
View and download all the proposed amendments here